This easy and delicious Chicken Tikka Masala is full of warm and cozy spices. Tender cubes of chicken are coated in a creamy and rich curry sauce. This recipe doesn't skimp out on flavor and it's just as good as the restaurant's! Don't forget the rice or naan!
One of Billy's favorite things to order at the hospital cafeteria is chicken tikka masala. After hearing this, I was determined to make one from scratch that would be even tastier. Being unfamiliar with Indian cuisine, I was a little intimidated by the amount of spices required. But they all serve a purpose! This chicken tikka masala came out so incredibly tender, creamy, and flavorful. It's wonderfully fragrant and rich, but still healthy. It definitely needs rice or naan on the side to catch all that delicious sauce. Talk about a filling and tasty meal!
how to make this chicken tikka masala
First, make the marinade for the chicken. Combine the Greek yogurt with all the spices, lemon juice, and cubed chicken breast. You can sub chicken thighs but the yogurt is a great tenderizer - trust me, you won't believe that it's chicken breast! Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour, up to overnight. Let the chicken come to room temperature before cooking.
Next, heat the avocado oil or ghee in a large pot. Add the onion and cook on medium heat until it just starts to get translucent. Don't overcook them - they provide a great contrasting bite in the sauce! Then add in the garlic and ginger, cooking until they just become fragrant. Follow with tomato paste, cooking another minute to remove the tinny taste.
Then, pour in the chicken bone broth and all the spices, plus coconut sugar. Cook for about a minute or two. The heat will activate the spices to bring more flavor to the sauce. The coconut sugar also helps combat the tart, canned flavor from the tomato sauce.
Speaking of which, pour in the tomato sauce and coconut milk next. Season well and stir, letting it come to a gentle boil. Then add in the marinated chicken. The heat should be on medium-high at this point with a very gentle boil. Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 155 degrees Fahrenheit. Finally, taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning before serving it with rice or garlic naan and lots of cilantro. Enjoy!
If you try the recipe, please take a snapshot and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @balancewithjess or #balancewithjess. I love seeing your re-creations!
Chicken Tikka Masala
- 1½ lbs chicken breast cut into 1" cubes
- ½ tablespoon avocado oil or ghee
- ¼ onion diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup chicken bone broth
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon coconut sugar
- 15 oz canned tomato sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Cilantro for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients with the chicken breast. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour, then take out and let come to room temperature.
- Heat avocado oil in a large pot. Add onion and sweat until it begins to get translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute until fragrant. Stir in tomato paste and cook additional minute.
- Add chicken broth and spices. Let heat for 1 minute to activate the spices.
- Pour in canned tomato sauce, coconut milk, salt, & pepper. Bring to a gentle boil, then add marinaded chicken. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Season to taste.
- Garnish with lots of cilantro.
products i used
The following contains affiliate links, which means I will earn a commission if you purchase an item through these links. I only recommend the brands I know and trust. Thank you for your support!