This Classic Cobb Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette is both hearty and delicious. It's topped with a variety of fresh vegetables, grilled chicken breast, crispy pancetta, and funky blue cheese. An easy and tangy red wine vinaigrette is drizzled over the top for a delicious finish!
Cobb salads are easily one of my favorites salads to eat and make. It's such a classic and can be found on nearly every restaurant's menu. But it's so easy to make at home! Save some money and calories by making this Classic Cobb Salad in the comfort of your own kitchen.
It's topped with a variety of familiar ingredients that's probably already in your fridge and pantry. Lettuce, chicken, eggs, tomatoes... whatever's missing is easy to substitute. In this version, I used grilled chicken breast, pancetta in place of bacon, avocado, and blue cheese. The combination provides a rainbow of flavors and textures that create a delicious, hearty bite every time!
how to make this classic cobb salad
- Romaine lettuce: a classic. Make sure to wash and dry it very, very well (salad spinner recommended).
- Grilled chicken breast: My favorite protein but the options are endless, as is the cooking method.
- Hard boiled eggs: My favorite way to cook hard boiled eggs is in the Instant Pot - foolproof and easy to peel.
- Cherry tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes have a thin skin, are extra juicy, and are the perfect size for a salad. Grape tomatoes work too!
- Persian cucumber: My favorite! They have a thin skin and minimal seeds.
- Pancetta: Bacon (even turkey) works too.
- Blue cheese: Sharp, creamy, and funky. If you're not a fan, try Roquefort or feta cheese instead.
- Avocado: A source of healthy fats and extra creaminess.
for the red wine vinaigrette
- Red wine vinegar: Fruity and tangy. You can make your own by combining equal parts white vinegar and red wine.
- Dijon mustard: This helps the dressing emulsify and creates a another layer of flavor.
- Honey: To round out the tang from both the vinegar and mustard.
- Shallots: You can also used finely diced red onion soaked in water.
- Extra virgin olive oil
the steps to this classic cobb salad
This salad is a breeze to put together! First, cook the proteins. Cook the pancetta until crispy, then set it aside on a paper-lined plate. If you're using chicken breast, I recommend pounding it for even thickness (and therefore, even cooking). Season both sides with salt and pepper. You can grill, pan sear, bake, or poach it - your choosing! But if you're using the stovetop, use the same pan the pancetta was cooked in for maximum flavor. Then, boil your eggs. For the Instant Pot method, place eggs on the trivet with a cup of seasoned water. Cook on Manual for 9 minutes.
Next, combine everything. Top the lettuce with the chicken, eggs, tomatoes, cucumbers, pancetta, blue cheese, and avocado. Layer them in rows if you want to make it pretty. Season the avocado, tomatoes, and cucumbers with a sprinkle of salt.
Then, make your dressing. Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, honey, shallots, and season with salt and pepper. Gradually stream in the olive oil and continue whisking until emulsified.
Toss the salad and drizzle in half the dressing. Mix it all together, taste, and add more dressing as preferred. Enjoy!
make this salad yours
- Use your favorite protein - steak, shrimp, tofu, or salmon.
- This salad would go well with any type of dressing - creamy ranch, green goddess, and Thousand Island are all classics.
- Top it with fresh chives, parsley, or cilantro for another pop of freshness.
more must-try recipes
Looking for more healthy ideas? Here are some fresh, veggie-filled recipes to try:
- Seafood Salad
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Tortellini Caprese
- Pasta Salad
- Creamy Lemon Broccoli Pasta with Shrimp
If you try the recipe, please take a snapshot and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @balancewithjess or #balancewithjess. I love seeing your re-creations!
Classic Cobb Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette
- Wash the romaine and let dry completely. Top with grilled chicken, eggs, tomatoes, cucumbers, pancetta, blue cheese, and avocado. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the tomatoes, cucumbers, and avocado.
- To make the dressing, whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey, shallots, and season with salt and pepper. Pour in the olive oil while continuously whisking.
- Toss the salad, then drizzle in half the dressing. Toss again. Taste and add more dressing as needed.
products i used
The following contains affiliate links, which means I will earn a commission if you purchase an item through these links. I only recommend the brands I know and trust. Thank you for your support!