This Winter Citrus Salad will cure your winter blues! It's filled with arugula, a variety of citrus, fresh mint, and more. The honey dressing is the perfect pairing to bring you sunshine on a plate.
When the winter blues get you down, bring the sunshine back with this bright and delicious salad. Most citrus fruit ripen during the winter. It's the perfect time to try new ones like blood oranges, pommelos, satsumas, and kumquats. They'll be juicy, sweet, and pleasantly tart. They also give you a boost of vitamin C to help keep the cold & flu away!
This Winter Citrus Salad is all about simplicity and letting the citrus fruits shine. You can use whichever ones you like, but I love blood oranges for their gorgeous, ruby red color. Keep the textures interesting with creamy avocado and crunchy almonds (or any nut). Mint goes really well with citrus and adds the final pizzazz to get it presentation-ready. The last touch is an easy honey dressing to balance out the acidity from the citrus. You won't need that much since the fruit provide plenty of juice already! This recipe is paleo, dairy-free, and gluten-free. It's the perfect side salad or, with some protein, a delicious meal. Enjoy!
how to make to make this winter citrus salad
- Arugula: Arugula has a very bright and peppery taste. It's very distinct and lends a lot of flavor to this salad. You can easily sub for your favorite greens.
- Grapefruit, blood orange, and oranges: A variety of citrus keeps the flavor profiles similar, yet interesting. Plus, all the different colors make it a showstopper!
- Avocado: Provides creamy texture and healthy fats.
- Sliced almonds: Much needed for some crunch!
- Mint: Citrus and mint are a classic pairing.
for the dressing
- Lemon juice: A fun, subtle way to add another citrus element.
- Dijon mustard: Just a touch to help the dressing emulsify.
- Honey: A good amount is needed to balance the tartness from all the citrus.
- Orange zest: Adds a delicious zing that
- Extra virgin olive oil: The main ingredient of this dressing.
prep for winter citrus salad
Prepping all the ingredients and mise en place (French for "putting in place") is the most important part of cooking, in my opinion!
- Grab your tools.
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Prep bowls
- Citrus squeezer
- Serving bowl or platter
- Prepare the fruit and vegetables.
- Wash the arugula and dry thoroughly. Use a salad spinner if you have one.
- Wash and scrub the citrus fruit, especially the orange.
- Zest the orange. Then, cut the rind off and slice horizontally.
- Cut the rinds and slice the remaining citrus fruit.
- Juice a lemon.
- Cut the avocado in half. Remove the seed, peel, then slice.
- Wash the mint leaves and let dry.
- Have your remaining ingredients out and ready.
time to get cooking
Make sure to complete the "Prep" steps listed above. This will keep the workflow smooth, easy, and organized!
First, add the arugula to a bowl or serving platter. Sprinkle the sliced almond over the top, then add the citrus slices. Fan out the avocado slices and add on top. Sprinkle some salt over the entire salad and garnish with mint.
Next, make the dressing. Whisk together lemon juice, dijon mustard, honey, orange zest, and a pinch of salt. If the honey is very sticky, microwave for 10 seconds to loosen it up. Gradually whisk in the olive oil until it's emulsified and season to taste.
When you're ready to serve, pour the dressing on top or serve it on the side. Enjoy!
If making this salad ahead of time, prep all the ingredients and refrigerate separately. Do not cut the avocado until ready to serve.
more must-try recipes
Looking for more healthy meal ideas? Check these recipes out!
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Classic Cobb Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette
- Fall Harvest Salad
- Seafood Salad
- Healthy Banana Cake
- Pasta Salad
If you try the recipe, please take a snapshot and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @balancewithjess or #balancewithjess. I love seeing your re-creations!
Winter Citrus Salad
- 6 oz baby arugula washed and dried
- 1 grapefruit peeled and sliced
- 2 blood oranges peeled and sliced
- 1 orange peeled and sliced
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1½ tbsp sliced almonds
- Mint for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Add arugula, grapefruit, blood orange, orange, almonds, and avocado to a large bowl. Season the whole bowl with salt, especially the avocado, and garnish with mint.
- For the dressing, whisk together the lemon juice, dijon, honey, and orange zest. Season with a pinch of salt. Slowly whisk in olive oil until emulsified.
- Pour as much dressing as you'd like onto the salad. Mix well and serve immediately.
products i used
The following contains affiliate links, which means I will earn a commission if you purchase an item through these links. I only recommend the brands I know and trust. Thank you for your support!