These Hot Cocoa Cookies will make you want to cozy right up next to the fireplace! They're soft, super rich, and extra fudgy. The best part are the marshmallows that get lightly toasted and melted on top. Even though they're healthier and grain-free, you still get every ounce of decadence!
The Best Hot Cocoa Cookies
These Hot Cocoa Cookies are the absolute best! They remind me of wintertime as a kid and making hot chocolate for dessert. Just like those delicious drinks, these cookies are made with unsweetened cocoa powder for an intense chocolate flavor. To amp it up, we also add in chocolate chips for the ultimate fudgy interior. Another bonus: the toasted marshmallows on top create another layer of gooey heaven. Yum!!
These Hot Cocoa Cookies are also incredibly easy to make. Combine the dry ingredients, then the wet, and mix the two together. Then add the marshmallows after they've baked for a couple minutes. It's as simple as that! To make things even better, these chocolate cookies are also grain and gluten-free. Plus, easy substitutions make this recipe adaptable for a dairy-free diet. They would be so amazing during the holidays or as a Valentine's Day gift! After all, what can beat hot chocolate in cookie form?
Ingredients for Hot Cocoa Cookies
- Almond flour: To keep the cookies grain-free and soft.
- Cocoa powder: Unsweetened cocoa powder gives an intense, almost bitter chocolate flavor.
- Baking soda and powder
- Egg: Room temp eggs are best for baking because they'll mix into the batter more evenly.
- Coconut sugar: A healthier, unrefined sweetener.
- Coconut oil: A healthy way to add moisture and fat.
- Vanilla extract
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: I prefer to use less chocolate chips to highlight the bitterness of the cocoa powder. If you prefer a sweeter cookie, go for more chocolate chips.
- Marshmallows: Mini ones work best in this recipe.
How To Make Hot Cocoa Cookies
- Preheat the oven. You can line the baking sheet with foil, parchment paper, or a silicone mat.
- Combine the dry ingredients.
- Mix the wet ingredients. Then add the wet to dry. The batter might seem a little stiff but just keep mixing until everything is evenly distributed.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Bake. The first bake will allow the cookies to start setting up.
- Top with marshmallows. Gently press into the cookie for a beautiful crackly top.
- Finish baking. Keep an eye on the marshmallows and take them out once they're lightly browned.
Tips For Making The Best Hot Chocolate Cookies
- Use a room temperature egg. This is important for all baking recipes! Room temperature ingredients mix more evenly into the batter.
- Let the coconut oil cool. After melting the coconut oil, let it cool without it solidifying. We don't want it to cook the egg.
- Whisk the egg and coconut sugar first before adding the rest of the wet ingredients. This will make sure the sugar is evenly distributed as coconut sugar tends to clump. It'll also add air, which will keep the cookies light and fluffy.
Store any leftover cookies you have in an air-tight container. You can keep them in a dark, cool place for 3 days or in the fridge for 5 days. Before eating, I recommend microwaving them for a 5-10 seconds to let them get warm and "melty" again.
Make It In Advance
These Hot Cocoa Cookies would be great to make in advance! Follow the instructions for the batter, but don't bake or add the marshmallows yet. Store it in the fridge for up to a week until you're ready to bake. Then continue with the remainder of the recipe. Roll the dough into balls, flatten with the bottom of a cup, and bake for 6 minutes. Top with marshmallows and finish for 8-10 more minutes in the oven.
Looking For More?
Baked goods are so much fun to make with or for friends and family! For more delicious baking recipes, try these out.
- Lemon Chia Seed Muffins
- Healthy Banana Cake
- Healthier Dulce de Leche Thumbprint Cookies
- Healthy Apple Chai Bars
- Orange Candied Almonds
- Healthy Almond Cupcakes
Hot Cocoa Cookies
- 1 cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg room temp
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil cooled slightly
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips increase to ½ cup for a sweeter cookie
- 36 mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk egg and coconut sugar until homogenous. Stir in coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry. Mix until everything is evenly combined, then stir in chocolate chips.
- Roll about 1½ tablespoon of dough into balls and place evenly spaced on baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 5-6 minutes.
- Take the cookies out and while they're warm, gently press 3 mini marshmallows into each cookie. Bake for an additional 8 minutes or until cookies are set and marshmallows are lightly browned. Let cool before serving.
Pin It For Later
Products I Used
The following contains affiliate links, which means I will earn a commission if you purchase an item through these links. I only recommend the brands I know and trust. Thank you for your support!